Workspace Next Sprint Organization

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Mon May 14 22:28:37 UTC 2012

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 4:52 PM, Björn Balazs <bjoern.balazs at user-prompt.com
> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> there have been some doubts about technical issues that could come along
> with
> creating the "vision"...
>
> So I thought, I might just write down some thoughts of what I think a good
> vision is about. To start with here is a vision I think is a good one:
>
> "I believe that this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal,
> before
> this decade is out, of landing a man on the moon and returning him safely
> the Earth." (John F. Kennedy, May 25, 1961)
>
> - The vision gives a clear goal (benefit) that helps to unify all people
> involved into making it become real
> - It is commonly understandable and does not provide technical solutions
> - leaves enough room for creativity
> - helps to provide criteria so that different people in similar situations
> will likely come to the similar decission
> - is short and hence present to everyone involved into the process
>
> Do want another good one? Ok, here we go:
>
> "The iPod will be a portable digital music player that will hold 5000
> songs.
> It will have a battery life measured in days, not hours. You will navigate
> the
> thousands of songs with a single finger. You will sync all your music from
> your computer to the iPod in minutes automatically, so you can have all
> your
> music in your pocket." (said to be formulated by Steve Jobs end of the
> 1990ies
> - might be an urban myth though...)
>

> These are examples of what I think we should try to achieve for KDE. So I
> think even though there will be massive implications with technical issues,
> this will not be the topic of the meeting.
>
> What do you think? Do you agree with the outlined criteria for a good
> vision?

That would be my idea of a "vision" as well - define what the next
Workspace iteration should provide the users and how it should look like
etc. Start with general goals and ideas, then start giving them shapes by
doing mockups and whatnot and then see how it all fits with our current
technology and how can we develop this technology further to reach our
goals. We definitely shouldn't do any revolutionary new workspace ala
Gnome3, but rather an evolution to our current Plasma Workspace.

As for pure non-hacking sprint as discussed before - I'm all for a
compromise. Start with drawings and imaginary stuff and do some coding
towards the end, even if just proof of concepts (and I think we probably
won't resist that anyway ;)

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer