window management ideas

Alexander Shenoy alex.shenoy at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 22:48:44 CEST 2009

I think tagging has a very good advantage to average users. Applications
could be tagged so their windows show up in the same tag group each time
they are launched. Also, you could have default tags either set by
developers, or set using the program groups from the Kickoff menu. This way
the time messing around with tags would be reduced. I think that tagging
would help b/c it would help sort information. Even with virtual desktops,
my windows are very cluttered.

An alternative would be to tie application windows to a certain virtual
desktop. Although this doesn't solve the "I want konsole on my Programming
and Virtualization Desktops" problem, it will help with window management
b/c the user doesnt have to switch desktops before launching the application
to ensure the application lives on the right virtual desktop.

Alexander Shenoy
Student
University of Pittsburgh

four.sentenc.es