window management ideas

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Fri Jul 17 15:09:10 CEST 2009

On Wednesday 15 July 2009 07:41:32 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Friday 10 July 2009, Chani wrote:
> > what I wanted is window tagging.
>
> do windows live long enough for tagging to work?
>
> would there be an "always there" tag?
>
> how easy is it to tag a window? (this is an interaction design concept)
>
> how does tagging interact with activities? (i suppose that's answered in
> the "windowgroups / pager / ZUI" thread?)
>
> what's the average user advantage in this?
>
> how much work is saved or how much efficiency gained versus how much time
> spent messing around with tagging?
>

> this feels like a very geek feature that i can't see many people using. i
> could be wrong .... but tagging really tends to work when:
>
> * the data set is large
> * the data set is long lived (so value accrues over time)
> * the data set is shared by many people (so there's value reaped from
> other's work or by being able to tie several people's work together in
> unique ways)
>
> because of that, tagging works _fabulously_ for things like photo sharing
> websites and online news aggregation.
>
> how well does it work for a small, often/usually temporary, non-shared data
> set?

I see tagging also as a way to specify the virtual desktop / window group an
application window is in. Moving a window to some virtual desktop called
"Work" would tag the window with it. Based on those tags, we can open stuff
"by project / activity". So you open all windows tagged "foobar" to open the
foobar project. Saving goes similarly.

The thing is that we need to differentiate between unique applications (think
of your email client) and document windows (think of a kwrite window with an
open text file).
unique applications would have persistant tags attached to the application,
document windows would have those tags set on the file they're displaying.
--
sebas