window management ideas

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 21:25:51 CEST 2009

On July 14, 2009 22:41:32 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Friday 10 July 2009, Chani wrote:
> > what I wanted is window tagging.
>
> do windows live long enough for tagging to work?

mine live for weeks. they'd live for months if I wasn't recompiling kde all
the time. is this not common?
also, I'd like it if tagging was more automatic at some point.

> would there be an "always there" tag?

yeah

> how easy is it to tag a window? (this is an interaction design concept)

I'd hope it'd be as easy as it is to move a window to another desktop right
now.

> how does tagging interact with activities? (i suppose that's answered in
> the "windowgroups / pager / ZUI" thread?)

we could have an activity associated with a tag, or maybe we could keep them
independent...

> what's the average user advantage in this?

hrm. perhaps not much, given that the average user doesn't even use virtual
desktops.

> how much work is saved or how much efficiency gained versus how much time
> spent messing around with tagging?

good question. I'd certainly want to keep hte messing-around time to a
minimum.

> this feels like a very geek feature that i can't see many people using. i
> could be wrong .... but tagging really tends to work when:
>
> * the data set is large

how large? I have a couple of dozen konq tabs that I think I could manage more
easily with tagging.

> * the data set is long lived (so value accrues over time)

I want to eventually have these tags be persistent - tagging of applications,
documents etc.

> * the data set is shared by many people (so there's value reaped from
> other's work or by being able to tie several people's work together in
> unique ways)

yeah, we don't have this at all until we bring in document tags.

--
This message brought to you by eevil bananas and the number 3.
www.chani3.com