[Review Board] transparency for plasma-overlay

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 20:30:37 CEST 2008

On July 21, 2008 11:08:44 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Sunday 20 July 2008, Chani wrote:
> > On July 20, 2008 20:54:42 Chani wrote:
> > > http://reviewboard.vidsolbach.de/r/97/
> > > no screenshot of the .ui tonight, maybe I'll do one tomorrow
>
> neat, idle vs active opacity. note that opacity is really, really slow
> since it is all done in software. until there is a competent opengl bckend
> for qpainter, there's no way this is going to get better either.

it's slow for everyone? damn. I was hoping it was just my drivers.
well, at least 0 and 100% will be fast. ;)

> in any case, the patch looks alright, though good practice isn't to use ==
> to compare floats due to rounding errors. safer is to do something like:
>
> if (int(m_idleOpacity * 10) == 10)
>
> this would test to the tenths place with accuracy. but even better is to
> just do:
>
> if (qFuzzyCompare(m_idleOpacity, 1.0))
>
> probably a number of places in plasma we should be doing this =0

interesting. even when I'm comparing them to 0 and 1?

oh, and hte slider thing bugs me. it's been a while since I touched any kind
of UI design... I'd kinda like it to just have steps, instead of offering any
value between 0 and 100%... maybe just do 0-10 instead?
I was also thinking maybe prevent the active one from going down to 0 (working
with invisible widgets just seems like a bad idea), but I don't want to muck
up the scale compared to the other slider... eh, I dunno, maybe I should
leave it and ignore people silly enough to try and set it to 0?

> this patch also reminds me of the cmplexity of your project, and how a
> document in workspace/plasma/design/ is certainly called for! =)

meep. writing.
I'm not quite in a writing mood right now, but I really hope I will be
soon... :) heck, maybe even later today if nothing pisses me off...

--
This message brought to you by evyl bananas, and the number 3.
www.chani3.com