kickoff fusion idea and mockup

J.R. Mauro jrm8005 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 18:28:40 CEST 2008

2008/7/11 Florian Busson <florian.busson at gmail.com>:

>> personally, i'm concerned it will, like many chimeras, feel awkward: the
>> head
>> of one animal and the body of the other.
>

> I realize you're right indeed , it can't be approached this way.
> A more concistent way is to come closer with the gnome menu : no size
> constraint on tabs, it should depend on the content. But it has problaby
> been also suggested :/
>

>> but a patch would settle that once and for all.
>

> Sorry to still not help you much, but i've just some more screenshots about
> how kickoff could be in the 'gnome way' for displaying cascaded apps :
>
> Favorites : http://pix.nofrag.com/b/4/4/304cc54d252ca3fb6ca6aec5475f7.html
> Applications :
> http://pix.nofrag.com/8/8/e/500134c40dbc9ef65a3c4ecc4ae45.html
> Computer : http://pix.nofrag.com/5/6/4/e252d2d1f6d1abe342f6bdcb20cd4.html
> History : http://pix.nofrag.com/a/9/4/41a0b9f226b6fb21c8d76f663e477.html
> Quit : http://pix.nofrag.com/8/2/7/0f1b3b23948400df2aa7fc852745b.html

Not to be rude, but these mockups look very disorganized. They don't clearly
change Kickoff
except to resize elements, but the changed sizes make it look IMO very
awkward.
Kickoff is very usable the way it is now. I don't think there is a cleaner
way to organize
things other than the way kickoff does it currently. I think the right
direction to move in
would be to improve searching, and make some kind of "auto-favorites" that
will place frequently
used items with higher priority. Any way you organize all the apps, etc. is
going to either take up
too much space or look really awkward.

At the moment, kickoff looks the least awkward of anything I've seen.
Submenus popping out like in
Windows are annoying and easily lost, and big things like tasty menu are
just too cluttered and clunky.
Kickoff is clean, and was the result of serious usability studies IIRC.

In short, the real issue is "being psychic." I know raptor is going to try
to do this, and I hope the facilities in raptor
will come into Kickoff's code. I think the default tab showing what you want
and use, and a better, annotated search
bar where both give you your commonly used items higher priority is the key
to a better Kmenu.