KDE/kdebase/workspace/plasma/applets/systemtray

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 01:22:29 CEST 2008

On July 3, 2008 02:05:58 pinheiro wrote:
> A Wednesday 02 July 2008 22:44:47, Aaron J. Seigo escreveu:
> > On Wednesday 02 July 2008, Michael Rudolph wrote:
> > > On Wednesday 02 July 2008 20:18:08 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > > The reason for my pointy-headed enquiry was, that given the time frame
> > > (4.3), I was hoping we could already be pushing something fundamentally
> > > better than a systemtray.
> >
> > remember that by using IPC we finally break the link between presentation
> > and content here.
> >
> > which means we could put the systray functionality for icons associated
> > with a window *in the taskbar*! something both seli and i want *badly*.
> >
> > that's just one of the possibilities here.
> >
> > > When I look at what a systray does or rather what it is supposed to do
> > > and than look at the possibilities we have with plasma, I wonder how
> > > useful it is to pursue this old technology.
> >
> > it depends on the topic. for some things it's a really easy solution.
> > kmix is the classic example imho: it just needs an icon with a popup,
> > really. but it also needs/wants to coordinate with its main application
> > window.
> >
> > one could go and write a complex plasmoid for it (that tracks the window
> > id of kmix if running, for example) or one could just make a systray
> > window the kmix app.
> >
> > it's a lot less code, a lot simpler to do and in this case is pretty much
> > what one wants (well, except for the slider looking like ass; we need to
> > fix that as soon as libplasma is out of kdebase)
> >
> > for many other scenarios .. it doesn't make much sense, and we should be
> > triaging those out of the system tray if at all possible.
> >
> > this will mean, i think, making a way to add plasmoids that is, from the
> > user, non-distinguishable from launching an application. should be hard
> > to do, really (using the existing plasma-applet-*.desktop files even),
> > but would need to get done.
>
> Yeah I tend to agrea the systemtray nowadays is over populated with items
> that could/should not be there. But here are many that should like kmix,
> everything that one would like to adjust/view constantly, the probelem is
> that the system tray in in the pannel that is allways visible that,
> provides the systemtray that bonus. if we remove an systemtray item from
> the systemtray  into some were else like the "desktop" we are making less

err... but plasmoids can go anywhere I want, panel *or* desktop.

I'd put my systray as a whole on the desktop if it played nice with dashboard,
actually. for a while I did. there are too many icons in there that just act
as a second taskbar. I'd rather have the actually-useful ones as applets I
can put directly on my panel (and maybe stick some on the screensaver too -
kmix specifically)

--
This message brought to you by evyl bananas, and the number 3.
www.chani3.com