KDE/kdebase/workspace/plasma/applets/systemtray

pinheiro nuno at oxygen-icons.org
Thu Jul 3 11:05:58 CEST 2008

A Wednesday 02 July 2008 22:44:47, Aaron J. Seigo escreveu:
> On Wednesday 02 July 2008, Michael Rudolph wrote:
> > On Wednesday 02 July 2008 20:18:08 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > The reason for my pointy-headed enquiry was, that given the time frame
> > (4.3), I was hoping we could already be pushing something fundamentally
> > better than a systemtray.
>
> remember that by using IPC we finally break the link between presentation
> and content here.
>
> which means we could put the systray functionality for icons associated
> with a window *in the taskbar*! something both seli and i want *badly*.
>
> that's just one of the possibilities here.
>
> > When I look at what a systray does or rather what it is supposed to do
> > and than look at the possibilities we have with plasma, I wonder how
> > useful it is to pursue this old technology.
>
> it depends on the topic. for some things it's a really easy solution. kmix
> is the classic example imho: it just needs an icon with a popup, really.
> but it also needs/wants to coordinate with its main application window.
>
> one could go and write a complex plasmoid for it (that tracks the window id
> of kmix if running, for example) or one could just make a systray window
> the kmix app.
>
> it's a lot less code, a lot simpler to do and in this case is pretty much
> what one wants (well, except for the slider looking like ass; we need to
> fix that as soon as libplasma is out of kdebase)
>
> for many other scenarios .. it doesn't make much sense, and we should be
> triaging those out of the system tray if at all possible.
>
> this will mean, i think, making a way to add plasmoids that is, from the
> user, non-distinguishable from launching an application. should be hard to
> do, really (using the existing plasma-applet-*.desktop files even), but
> would need to get done.

Yeah I tend to agrea the systemtray nowadays is over populated with items that
could/should not be there. But here are many that should like kmix,
everything that one would like to adjust/view constantly, the probelem is
that the system tray in in the pannel that is allways visible that, provides
the systemtray that bonus. if we remove an systemtray item from the
systemtray  into some were else like the "desktop" we are making less visible
(unless we would use a quinda "zui option" for those, ... hummm??)
So in some cases that would not be a good idea. in other cases it would be
great idea, still it will depend alot on the app and how the app developer
feels about it.

--

core oxygen icon designer