Wallpaper

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Jul 1 19:30:31 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 01 July 2008, Petri Damstén wrote:
> I was wondering if containment background(wallpaper)

the danger here is that you'd end up with two interactive components on the
"background". the containment is meant to provide the interactive layer, the
wallpaper layer just a rendering. it can respond to clicks and what not, i
suppose, but it should not need nor have the semantics of Applet which contain
a number of assumptions about interaction and managemnt.

> and toolbox(cashew)

no

> was planned and would enable people to run e.g. marble applet as they
> desktop background.

Marble could be used to paint the wallpaper; a Marble applet could also be
used as your containment.

the only issue are people who want, e.g., "desktop icons" (fullscreen
folderview) *and* something like a marble applet containment. there's a reason
we're going away from fullscreen folderview as default.