[Owncloud] CalDAV / CardDAV with IPhone 5

Mark - Syminet mark at syminet.com
Thu Jan 10 16:50:33 UTC 2013

On Jan 10, 2013, at 12:19 AM, Christian Pfarr <webmaster at itnoobz.org> wrote:
> I found some issues.
>
> trying to connect http://demo.owncloud.org/remote.php/caldav/principals/test/ works, but the port is automatically switched to 8008. This Port is locked on my own Server because of my firewall. Why does Iphone 5 using this Port?

Mine does not do this - I suspect iphone might try port 8008 first by default, since that is what OS X server uses.  If your ubuntu server has port 8008 open for something else (e.g. some web based control panel or something?) … your iphone finds port 8008 open and thinks it is contacting an OS X server.  It then gets a garbage response and fails.  My server is not listening on port 8008 at all, so it tries 80 and succeeds.

You can determine if port 8008 is open using nmap at the commandline:

nmap -p 8008 example.com
> On http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1629?viewlocale=en_GB if found:
>
> 8008	TCP	iCal service	-	http-alt	Mac OS X Server v10.5 and later

This is for OS X server, which almost no one uses - if you are running ubuntu, then it should not be listening on port 8008 unless it has specifically been configured to listen on that port.
> trying to connect http://demo.owncloud.org/remote.php/carddav/principals/test/ doesnt work until now. The Port wont be set automatically and i tried the Ports from http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1629?viewlocale=en_GB.
>
> 8800	TCP	Address Book service	-	sunwebadmin	Mac OS X Server v10.6 and later
> 8843	TCP	Address Book service (SSL)	-	-	Mac OS X Server v10.6 and later
> both dont work.
>
> Any ideas?

For both services, on my iphone 5 under the "Advanced" settings you can manually set the port.  I would try manually setting port 80 first.  If that doesn't work, check if port 8008 is open on your server using the command above.  If port 8008 is open then shut it down, move whatever is listening on that port to a different one, or locally firewall that port so that your iphone cannot connect to it. Once that is working, switch it to work over SSL (https - port 443) as soon as possible.

Best -

--
Mark