[Owncloud] CalDAV / CardDAV with IPhone 5

Christian Pfarr webmaster at itnoobz.org
Thu Jan 10 17:55:44 UTC 2013

on my ubuntu server, my firewall block port 8008. Switching the Port
to 80 dont help.
How do you explain that the demo server of owncloud on
http://demo.owncloud.org/ [1] doesnt work?
On this Server, my Iphone
automatically change the Port to 8008. Why?

And also a very
interesting question: Why its impossible to connect via SSL to
http://demo.owncloud.org/ [1]?

Am 2013-01-10 17:50, schrieb Mark -
Syminet:

<webmaster at itnoobz.org> wrote:

>> I found some issues.

trying to connect
http://demo.owncloud.org/remote.php/caldav/principals/test [1]/ [1]
works, but the port is automatically switched to 8008. This Port is
locked on my own Server because of my firewall. Why does Iphone 5 using
this Port?

> Mine does not do this - I suspect iphone might try port
8008 first by default, since that is what OS X server uses. If your
ubuntu server has port 8008 open for something else (e.g. some web based
control panel or something?) … your iphone finds port 8008 open and
thinks it is contacting an OS X server. It then gets a garbage response
and fails. My server is not listening on port 8008 at all, so it tries
80 and succeeds.

> You can determine if port 8008 is open using nmap
at the commandline:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1629?viewlocale=en_GB [2] if found:

>> 8008
>> TCP
>> iCal service
>> -
>> http-alt
>> Mac OS X Server
v10.5 and later

> This is for OS X server, which almost no one uses -
if you are running ubuntu, then it should not be listening on port 8008
unless it has specifically been configured to listen on that port.

trying to connect
http://demo.owncloud.org/remote.php/carddav/principals/test [5]

Links:
------