[Kstars-devel] Stars in KStars Lite

Jasem Mutlaq mutlaqja at ikarustech.com
Sat Jun 18 10:21:18 UTC 2016

Hi Artem,

Excellent work! I just tested it on my Samsung S5 and it works great!
Panning and zooming is smooth, great job!

1. I'm not sure, I did a git blame and it seems it was added by Akarsh, so
any ideas Akarsh?
2. Tycho-2 is expected as an addon. USNO "support" should be there but it
will not be offered as addon to KStars Lite (has to be done manually by
users for now).
3. Akarsh? I also think the struct needs to be documented in Doxygen as
well.

Regards,
Jasem

On Sat, Jun 18, 2016 at 12:44 PM, Artem Fedoskin <afedoskin3 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear KStars developers,
>
> In *gsoc2016-kstarslite*
> <http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=kstars.git&a=shortlog&h=7fd5cf743a9a47255d635ebc48dd83a70cff86d9>
> branch you will find 2 commits that adds support for named and unnamed
> static stars to KStars Lite. (Here is the link on apk for armv7
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4b1uXgK0wdQZnpuQjQ4V1g3bEE)
>
> Right now I'm working on porting dynamic stars and have a few questions:
>
> 1. deepstarcomponent.cpp, line 194 - why do we limit radius to 90 degrees?
> This way I get about 300 trixels when I'm observing half-hemisphere on min
> zoom, which seems to be correct.
> 2. Just an interest - do you guys expect Tycho-2 and USNO-NOMAD-1e8
> catalogs in KStars Lite?
> 3. On page
> https://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdeedu-apidocs/kstars/html/Stars.html in "A
> third categorization is "shallow" and "deep" stars. Shallow stars are the
> brighter stars, which have enough catalog data to require a 32-bit data
> structure (starData
> <https://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdeedu-apidocs/kstars/html/structstarData.html>)
> to hold them. Deep stars are the fainter ones, data for which can be fit
> into a 16-bit structure (deepStarData
> <https://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdeedu-apidocs/kstars/html/structdeepStarData.html>).
> All named stars and all static stars are shallow." shouldn't it be 32-byte
> and 16-byte structures?
>
> Btw. If you are testing KStars Lite on PC - make sure that your PC is
> using discrete video card. Yesterday I installed nvidia-prime on my laptop
> and switching to GPU gave very good results because Qt Quick Scene Graph
> (graphical backend of KStars Lite) uses GPU for drawing.
>
> Regards, Artem

Best Regards,
Jasem Mutlaq