[Kstars-devel] Stars in KStars Lite

Artem Fedoskin afedoskin3 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 09:44:03 UTC 2016

Dear KStars developers,

In *gsoc2016-kstarslite*
<http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=kstars.git&a=shortlog&h=7fd5cf743a9a47255d635ebc48dd83a70cff86d9>
branch you will find 2 commits that adds support for named and unnamed
static stars to KStars Lite. (Here is the link on apk for armv7
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4b1uXgK0wdQZnpuQjQ4V1g3bEE)

Right now I'm working on porting dynamic stars and have a few questions:

1. deepstarcomponent.cpp, line 194 - why do we limit radius to 90 degrees?
This way I get about 300 trixels when I'm observing half-hemisphere on min
zoom, which seems to be correct.
2. Just an interest - do you guys expect Tycho-2 and USNO-NOMAD-1e8
catalogs in KStars Lite?
3. On page https://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdeedu-apidocs/kstars/html/Stars.html
in "A third categorization is "shallow" and "deep" stars. Shallow stars are
the brighter stars, which have enough catalog data to require a 32-bit data
structure (starData
<https://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdeedu-apidocs/kstars/html/structstarData.html>)
to hold them. Deep stars are the fainter ones, data for which can be fit
into a 16-bit structure (deepStarData
<https://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdeedu-apidocs/kstars/html/structdeepStarData.html>).
All named stars and all static stars are shallow." shouldn't it be 32-byte
and 16-byte structures?

Btw. If you are testing KStars Lite on PC - make sure that your PC is using
discrete video card. Yesterday I installed nvidia-prime on my laptop and
switching to GPU gave very good results because Qt Quick Scene Graph
(graphical backend of KStars Lite) uses GPU for drawing.

Regards, Artem