[Kstars-devel] New comets file for Kstars -- needs checking but 17P/Holmes looks good

David Craig chromium.deuteride at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 19:18:02 CEST 2007

Greetings:

I think I have properly edited a new comets.dat file for kstars, using the
instructions at:
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdeedu/kstars/README.ephemerides?revision=623819&view=markup

I noticed that in the most recent kstars comet didn't put 17P/Holmes in the
right place (now in outburst!), so I got the JPL comets file that was
updated on 2007-Oct-27 02:10 -0700.

I found that kstars would hang on reading this file after the header lines
were removed, and the new version from JPL was 3 spaces wider in the first
column,
so I used a regular expression in Geany to remove the 3 spaces.

I hope this is useful.  Someone more experienced than me in kstars should
check the locations of some more comets to see if it is really OK.

Thanks,
-dwc
--
-David Craig
"A Scottish baron has started up, his name I cannot remember, but he has put