[Kstars-devel] New comets file for Kstars -- needs checking but 17P/Holmes looks good

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Wed Oct 31 15:24:50 CET 2007

Hi David,

Thanks a lot for your contribution.  I'm sorry your message took 4 days
to get posted, but we actually have an updated comets.dat file now,
which you can get with the Get New Stuff tool (Ctrl+D).

Your comets.dat file looks good, but in case you submit another update
in the future, note that I've updated the README.ephemerides file with
more comets that need to be removed from the list.  Any comet with a
"D/" prefix has "disappeared", so should not be in the list.  Also,
there are a number of comets with large, negative MJD dates and
eccentricities of 1.0 (or > 0.99).  These are historical comets that
were on one-pass parabolic orbits through the inner slar system, and are
never coming back.  These should also be removed from the list.

Thanks, and again, I apologize that I didn't see your message until today.

Jason