[Kst] beta3

Brisset, Nicolas Nicolas.Brisset at eurocopter.com
Fri Apr 30 09:13:22 CEST 2010



I also think it would be nice to put out a new beta soon. Regarding 2.0.0, we had this discussion before (started at http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kst/2010-January/016982.html <http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kst/2010-January/016982.html> ) but it was quite a while back and in the meantime a lot of things have been done (good feeling, isn't it?) so an update is certainly nice. Below is my personal unauthorized opinion:


Before the next beta (a couple of days at most):

-          try to activate gsl-based plugins also on Windows, I believe this should not be too long (that is for someone like Peter, who has the required Windows development fu) and it would be nice to gather some feedback with that from the next beta

-          have a look at bug #219845 (and printing in general, I also experienced some not really WYSIWYG behaviour)

-          make sure the layout does not get broken too easily (I confess I don't know the exact status, but at some point it was pretty painful: when you changed the layout with the layout mode to organize the plots in a sensible way, and then added one extra plot everything was shuffled around...)


Before 2.0.0:

-          play some more with datasources to stress-test the API (netcdf would be a very good candidate, as I already said: it supports scalars, matrices, per file and per-data metadata, ...). The question is also from which version on we can promise a stable datasource API...

-          offer a way to install custom plugins (as in kst 1.x) - we recently had the need for something that can't be done with equations nor existing plugins and I realized we were a bit stuck. And there again there have been changes in the API, we have to test them with different perspectives.

-          check proper behaviour of view objects (rescaling, relation to plots, etc...: I think there are still some improvements needed)

-          improve some strings which are too developer-oriented ("primitives", etc...). As those are visible in the UI, if we want translations for 2.0.0 we have to make the changes before... By the way, how is it supposed to work with translations? Can we use the KDE infrastructure for kst2, which is right now a Qt-only application?


Well, it sounds like quite a lot but maybe some of it is not 100% needed and it is good to have an up-to-date list anyway. A nice 2.0.0 release before summer should definitely be feasible.





Von: Barth Netterfield [mailto:barth.netterfield at gmail.com] 
Gesendet: Freitag, 30. April 2010 04:22
An: kst at kde.org
Betreff: Re: [Kst] beta3


Not sure for a criterion.  There are a few regressions left that I have to get into bugzilla.

  -GSL fits is important

  -There is an X based memory leak that has popped up that I need to track down.

  -Improved auto layout

  -Some more stuff I can't remember off hand.


Let shoot for June 1 or no show-stoppers, which ever comes later.


On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 7:36 PM, Peter Kümmel <syntheticpp at gmx.net> wrote:

Fine! I also realized that we are already at beta5,
beta2 was only the last release with windows binaries.

And what should be the criterion to release 2.0.0?
No show stoppers after releasing beta5? And how long
should we wait?


Barth Netterfield wrote:
> I think we should!
> C. Barth Netterfield
> University of Toronto
> 416-845-0946
> On Apr 29, 2010 7:05 PM, "Peter Kümmel" <syntheticpp at gmx.net> wrote:
> Looking at bugzilla shows that there are no critical bugs any more:
> http://bugs.kde.org/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=&product=kst&version=unspecified&version=svn-trunk&version=2.0.0&version=2.0.0_devel&version=2.0.0_beta4&long_desc_type=allwordssubstr&long_desc=&bug_file_loc_type=allwordssubstr&bug_file_loc=&keywords_type=allwords&keywords=&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&bug_status=NEEDSINFO&bug_status=VERIFIED&bug_severity=critical&bug_severity=grave&bug_severity=major&bug_severity=crash&bug_severity=normal&bug_severity=minor&emailtype1=substring&email1=&emailtype2=substring&email2=&bugidtype=include&bug_id=&votes=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&cmdtype=doit&order=Reuse+same+sort+as+last+time&columnlist=bug_severity%2Cpriority%2Cassigned_to%2Cbug_status%2Cresolution%2Cversion%2Cop_sys%2Cshort_desc&field0-0-0=noop&type0-0-0=noop&value0-0-0=
> Only http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=235050 which maybe only happens on
> very slow Windows systems.
> And it seems the memory leaks on Windows are also fixed.
> So shouldn't we release a new beta?
> Peter
Kst mailing list
Kst at kde.org

C. Barth Netterfield
University of Toronto

Eurocopter Deutschland GmbH
Sitz der Gesellschaft/Registered Office: Donauwoerth
Registergericht/Registration Court: Amtsgericht Augsburg HRB 16508
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dr. Lutz Bertling
Geschaeftsfuehrung/Board of Management:
Dr. Wolfgang Schoder, Vorsitzender/CEO; Friedrich-Wilhelm Hormel; Ralf Barnscheidt


This communication and the information it contains is intended for the addressee(s) named above and for no other persons or organizations. It is confidential and may be legally privileged and protected by law. The unauthorized use, copying or disclosure of this communication or any part of it is prohibited and may be unlawful. 
If you have received this communication in error, kindly notify us by return e-mail and discard and/or delete the communication. Thank you very much. 
It is possible for e-mails to be intercepted or affected by viruses. Whilst we maintain virus checks on our e-mails, we accept no liability for viruses or other material which might be introduced with this message. 

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kst/attachments/20100430/336ee145/attachment-0001.htm 

More information about the Kst mailing list