[Kmymoney] How do I? Replicate a MS-Money Class technique

Ian X Waddington iwaddox at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 15:23:29 CET 2010

Hi, I thought I would share a technique I’ve been using in Money for years
now, it works for loans to my children and I use the same approach for my
reimbursable business expenses.  The advantage is that I still have a record
of the purchase in the store, against the correct category but allows me to
track and report to my children how much they owe. I have also added a
suggested approach for GnuCash, which to be honest is in many respects
easier to follow.

My question to the group is how do I reproduce the same in KMyMoney?

In MS-Money

Purhcase

Account:

Visa

Category:

Computer

Sub-Category:

Game

Class:

Children

Sub-Class:

Child1

Value: (Debit)

£20.00

If run a report at this point I can see that Child1 owes me £20

Loan Payment

Account:

Cash

Category:

Computer

Sub-Category:

Game

Class:

Children

Sub-Class:

Child1

Value: (Credit)

-£20.00

If run the same report now I can see that Child1 owes me £0

What often happens is ‘Dad will you pay half?’ all I do here is add the Visa
debit transaction as a split for £10 each and only put the sub-class against
half. Like this;

Purhcase

Account:

Visa

Visa

Category:

Computer

Computer

Sub-Category:

Game

Game

Class:

	Children

Sub-Class:

	Child1

Value: (Debit)

£10.00

£10.00

If run a report at this point I can see that Child1 owes me £10

Loan Payment

Account:

Cash

Category:

Computer

Sub-Category:

Game

Class:

Children

Sub-Class:

Child1

Value: (Credit)

-£10.00

If run the same report now I can see that Child1 owes me £0

I have been researching GnuCash which does not use any form of class, but as
it does not use category’s either it seems the best approach to keep the
double-entry honest is to the following which leaves me owing £20 on my
credit card, but have the £20 in cash to pay it. I can also see that I
purchased the game and I can see by running a report after Transaction 2
that my child owes my £20 until they pay up as Transaction 3.

Transaction1

Credit Card

-£20.00

Expense:Computer:Game