[Kmymoney] Re: How do I? Replicate a MS-Money Class technique

David Houlden djhoulden at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 16:40:57 CET 2010

On Wednesday 01 December 2010 Ian X Waddington wrote:
> Hi, I thought I would share a technique I’ve been using in Money for
> years now, it works for loans to my children and I use the same approach
> for my reimbursable business expenses.  The advantage is that I still
> have a record of the purchase in the store, against the correct category
> but allows me to track and report to my children how much they owe. I
> have also added a suggested approach for GnuCash, which to be honest is
> in many respects easier to follow.
>
> My question to the group is how do I reproduce the same in KMyMoney?

Hi Ian,

First of all apologies for not including all your original message in this
reply. Your nice formatting got really screwed up when I tried to reply.

This may not be exactly what you want but it works for me and I haven't been
able to find a better way in kmymoney so I'll throw it in as a suggestion.

Set up an asset account called something like "Money owed by Child1". When
you purchase something on Visa, enter it into the Visa account as a
transfer to the "Money owed by Child1" account. You can't assign the
category "Computer Game" as well but I take the view that if I purchase
something for someone else and they repay me then I don't need to record
the category. If yoy really need to record it then you can use the memo
field.

If as you say you pay half the cost then you can enter it as a split in the
Visa account. Half to the "Money owed by Child1" account and half to a
category of "Computer Game".

As you get repaid by child1 you go into the asset account and anter a
transfer of the amount repaid to another account (in my case this is
usually a cash account) thus reducing the amount owed.

Hope that helps.
Dave.