[wish item] Use of accustomed Editor Key Bindings

Ralf Nolden Ralf.Nolden at post.rwth-aachen.de
Wed Mar 29 12:33:04 BST 2000

Sven Bauhan wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've been programming in the linux environment for some years. Like many
> other developers I have used Emacs/XEmacs to edit my source code, so
> that I got accustomed to the Emacs-Key-Bindings.
> Now I tried to use KDevelop V0.4 to generate a project. Although it is a
> very good tool, it is very frustrating to have such (for linux users)
> strangekey bindings.
> For example, when I want to mark some text, I automaticely press
> Ctrl-Space and KDevelop opens the Dialog Editor. This key binding can be
> disabled, but some of them are not changeable. So when I want to go to
> the beginning of a line, I press Ctrl-a and the whole text is marked.
> When I wanted to insert text and I start typing, then the whole text is
> deleted. Of course this can be very frustrating, because there is no
> possibility to disable this "feature".
>
> So I ask you, if it is possible to keep the key bindings more
> customizable or to use or integrate an external editor like the
> Emacs/XEmacs.
Hi Sven,

we´re limited to the editor´s capabilities right now for the
keybindings, but these are already changed in the development version of
KDevelop for KDE 2 to be completely customizable. Meanwhile you can set
the keybindings for cut, copy and paste system wide in the kde-control
center (hope it works).

BTW: you should try version 1.1 of KDevelop or wait some more weeks for
1.2 coming out, 0.4 is very stable but a more recent version will offer
more features and bugfixes.

Thanks for your interest and feedback,

Ralf
--