somehow OT

Martin Piskernig martin.piskernig at stuwo.at
Fri Dec 17 21:13:35 GMT 1999

On Fri, 17 Dec 1999, you wrote:
> Hi,
> sorry if this is OT.
> I started KIconedit from within KDevelop to paint some icons.
> But it seems, that there is no reasonable way to work with this tool.
> It just shows a very strange behaviour (see error description below).
> I have installed version 0.3.0-1. Therefore I checked several ftp
> sites for a stable version. The "latest" version I could find, was
> 0.3.2 (somewhere under "unstable", dated to 1998).
> My questions:
> - Is someone out there, who is able to work with this tool?
> - Did someone run into the same error like me?
> - Is there a stable version of KIconedit?
> - If there isn´t a halfway reliable version, why does KDevelop
> support this tool?
[schnipp]

I must agree, I find kiconedit a very unintelligent and unhandy tool when
drawing/editing icons. But KDevelop supports it for one single good reason:
There is no other icon editor for KDE :-(
You can draw your xpms also with GIMP or XV, which are both really useful apps.
And in KDE 2.* all icons will be in PNG-format so there it is no problem...

Martin

PS: You have KDevelop: Why don't you try to build an icon editor, maybe
based on the kiconedit sources? ;-)

--
Hi! I'm a signature virus. Copy me into your signature file to help me
spread!