Delaying 5.3.3 to next week, Wed. July 17th; needed: review of D16882 & D22424

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Wed Jul 17 00:34:52 BST 2019

Am Freitag, 12. Juli 2019, 17:54:31 CEST schrieb Friedrich W. H. Kossebau:
> one bug I would like to see fixed before the 5.3.3 release is the one about
> potentially duplicated context menu entries ,triggered at least by enabling
> the CTags plugin coming from Kate's KTextEditor plugins (not its fault).
>

> There has been a long-standing patch up for review by René https://
> phabricator.kde.org/D16882 (skip the initial description & discussion, that
> very review request was reused for a different patch later, so forward to
> comment https://phabricator.kde.org/D16882#360860 directly).
>
> Sadly discussion pattered out, as most people also simply switched to
> disable the CTags plugin and no longer were confronted with the issue. Or
> just patched their build locally if using the CTags plugin.
>
> So, myself have wanted to revive the discussion about that patch again this
> week. Just took me a bit longer to wrap my brain around the issue, and also
> investigate what the actual problem is, e.g. why this only seems to happen
> with the CTags plugin enabled.
> Now, as side result I came up with an alternative patch to fix this,
> proposed in https://phabricator.kde.org/D22424
> It has my analysis of the issue in the commit message, so please read and
> check for where things might be wrong, and to see which approach might be
> better.
>
> In any case, I would favour if you people could spend some WE time on
> reviewing/commenting/testing either of these patches (or provide some better
> one : ))

Thanks to René & Anthony for testing & reviewing (and anyone who might have
done this without telling :) ).

So far can be said both patches/approaches seem to fix the bug. There is no
clear decision which patch would be better. But we need one for 5.3.3
tomorrow, to have this bug fixed.
While René has been test-driving D16882 for some months, he also has other
patches applied by what I know, so there is a small risk the other patches
might have positive side-effects.
Myself I used D22424 for a few days, the last version for 2 days, without any
issues seen.
Being biased, as I prefer the instant clean-up on hide of the menu by design,
as release dude I will now move forward and pick D22424 as current fix at
least for 5.3.3. Not meant as final decision, I would prefer some kdevelop
maintainers' comment to resolve this as closed and pick the long-term
solution.

Cheers
Friedrich