Delaying 5.3.3 to next week, Wed. July 17th; needed: review of D16882 & D22424

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Fri Jul 12 16:54:31 BST 2019

Hi,

one bug I would like to see fixed before the 5.3.3 release is the one about
potentially duplicated context menu entries ,triggered at least by enabling
the CTags plugin coming from Kate's KTextEditor plugins (not its fault).

There has been a long-standing patch up for review by René https://
phabricator.kde.org/D16882 (skip the initial description & discussion, that
very review request was reused for a different patch later, so forward to
comment https://phabricator.kde.org/D16882#360860 directly).

Sadly discussion pattered out, as most people also simply switched to disable
the CTags plugin and no longer were confronted with the issue. Or just
patched their build locally if using the CTags plugin.

So, myself have wanted to revive the discussion about that patch again this
week. Just took me a bit longer to wrap my brain around the issue, and also
investigate what the actual problem is, e.g. why this only seems to happen
with the CTags plugin enabled.
Now, as side result I came up with an alternative patch to fix this, proposed
in https://phabricator.kde.org/D22424
It has my analysis of the issue in the commit message, so please read and
check for where things might be wrong, and to see which approach might be
better.

In any case, I would favour if you people could spend some WE time on
reviewing/commenting/testing either of these patches (or provide some better
one : ))

Cheers
Friedrich