RFC: schedule for 5.4 branch & releases: branching off Sunday, July 21th

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Sat Jul 13 13:48:20 BST 2019

Hi,

seems everyone agrees that branching off master into some new 5.4 product
version is very due, so all the new features added since 5.3 branching last
August 2018 finally get to users relying on released versions :)

To not catch everyone by complete surprise who still might think about
adding/improving some feature in time for 5.4, I propose to have another week
as last minute occasion, but then get the ball rolling. Any feature changes/
additions not in before should then get people rather motivated to help
making a 5.5 being done more soon, like before end of this year :)

So proposal:

Sunday, 21th July (CEST evening):
* branch off 5.4 from master
* string freeze in 5.4 branch

Monday, 22th July:
* 5.4 Beta 1 release

Monday, 5th August (2 weeks after Beta 1):
* 5.4.0 release, unless release blockers found

5.4.x releases then weekly for 2 weeks, after that monthly, to keep pushing
fixes to users. Release dates skipped though if there is no (relevant) commit
in any of kdevelop/kdev-python/kdev-php.

I would act as release manager/coordinator here this time.

Please comment. Without objections or improvement proposals I would otherwise
follow this schedule :)

Everyone also: if you have some review request open on phabricator or
invent.kde.org which changes or adds a feature, so not just a bug fix, and
where you see a chance to have it considered in time for 5.4 still, add
another "ping" on it, or reply here to point to it, to improve chance someone
finds time to help with it for 5.4 still.

Cheers
Friedrich