Broken categories in our templates or kapptemplate?

Miha Čančula miha at noughmad.eu
Thu Aug 23 16:13:57 UTC 2012

2012/8/23 Milian Wolff <mail at milianw.de>

> On Thursday 23 August 2012 15:17:46 Aleix Pol wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 2:03 PM, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I was just trying to create a new Qt/C++ CMake project but was kinda
> > > confused by the categories presented to me. The left-most list was:
> > >
> > > Python, Ruby, C++, KDE, Standard
> > >
> > > Naturally I chose C++ but that only has KDE (i.e. real KDE stuff, like
> > > plasma, KApplication etc.) and and qmake templates.
> > >
> > > I then checked Standard and KDE since the other two categories are
> > > clearly not what I want. Standard has only a C++/Terminal with CMake.
> > > Interestingly the KDE entry does not have a single KDE-related
> > > template, all of the three are CMake/C++ Qt templates - one for tests,
> > > one for gui and one for non-gui apps.
> > >
> > > Now before I whip up a bugreport:
> > >
> > > Is this categorization intentional as outlined above?
> > >
> > > Should the categories in KDevelop or kapptemplate be changed? (I'd
> > > personally fix the kdevelop templates to use the language as first
> > > option too)
> > >
> > > --
> >
> > What KDE SDK version do you have? this changed some time ago...
> >
> > The reasoning behind was that it's more clear to have what you're
> > trying to achieve in the topmost level so that you can get all the
> > options on how to do it in the end.
>
> Also note that this dialog will look a bit nicer once Miha's GSOC branch is
> merged, see:
>
> http://noughmad.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/kdevelop-project-assistant.png
>
> Cheers

While it does look nicer, and has the benefit of expanding the second-level
view, the templates themselves are still expected to follow the pattern of
"Category / ProjectType / Language". On my system (KDE 4.9), they all do,
but some of yours (probably from an old KAppTemplate version) have the
language as the top-level category.