Broken categories in our templates or kapptemplate?

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Aug 23 18:05:00 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 3:17 PM, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 2:03 PM, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was just trying to create a new Qt/C++ CMake project but was kinda
>> confused by the categories presented to me. The left-most list was:
>>
>> Python, Ruby, C++, KDE, Standard
>>
>> Naturally I chose C++ but that only has KDE (i.e. real KDE stuff, like
>> plasma, KApplication etc.) and and qmake templates.
>>
>> I then checked Standard and KDE since the other two categories are
>> clearly not what I want. Standard has only a C++/Terminal with CMake.
>> Interestingly the KDE entry does not have a single KDE-related
>> template, all of the three are CMake/C++ Qt templates - one for tests,
>> one for gui and one for non-gui apps.
>>
>> Now before I whip up a bugreport:
>>
>> Is this categorization intentional as outlined above?
>>
>> Should the categories in KDevelop or kapptemplate be changed? (I'd
>> personally fix the kdevelop templates to use the language as first
>> option too)
>>
> What KDE SDK version do you have? this changed some time ago...

Interesting, still 4.7.4, thought I updated to 4.8 on that machine already...

> The reasoning behind was that it's more clear to have what you're
> trying to achieve in the topmost level so that you can get all the
> options on how to do it in the end.

Ok, so intended is to have KDE and Standard as top-levels? If so, our
templates are incorrectly categorized still IMO. After all a
QtCore-CMake-C++ template has absolutely nothing to do with "KDE".
Those would better be in a Qt category I think.