[KDE-pim] New Install: AKONADI wit PostgreSQL

Hessler, Klaus-Michael mailinglisten at kmHessler.de
Wed Dec 23 18:54:23 GMT 2020

Thanks a lot, Ingo!
> It's great that many people in this thread try to help, but I have the
> impression that Martin (and me) are the only people who have really
> understood what you, Michael, want to do. I'm not sure whether it's a
> good idea to use the system PostgreSQL server instead of a standalone one.
> What do you hope to gain by this?
OK, may be my poor understanding: I use PostgreSQL very much with
different databases, so "my PostgreSQL-server" is running almost
full-time. In the past I understood from this list, that usage of
PostgreSQL for Akonadi is the better choice. So _my approach_ was to
have one server only, for "my usage" and for Akonadi.

Actually (on older hardware) my PostgreSQL-installation has two databases:

  * postgres (the standard one) with scheme public,
  * myDB with several (personal) schemes and public.

My approach for the new setup: Transfer both and add a new one
"Akonadi".  The reasons for _my understanding_: Less processes running,
less installation, less update, configuration easier to understand. But:
If it's preferable have two servers and you recommend this, it can be
done but I have to understand the install (how to get the PackageManager
to install the installed package PostgreSQL again?) and update-processes
for both.

Which solution is your recommendation:
A: One PostgreSQL-installation, three databases: postgres, myDB, Akonadi.
B: One PostgreSQL-installation, two databases: postgres, myDB; let
Akonadi use postgres.
C: Two PostgreSQL-installations:
C1: Two databases: postgres, myDB;
C2: postgres OR Akonadi for Akonadi

Let's decide this question first!
I've seen, that you already answered my To-Do-list (your mail 18:09 h);
may be, we can update this after the decision?

Thank you and regards, Michael