[KDE-pim] New Install: AKONADI wit PostgreSQL

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Dec 23 16:33:58 GMT 2020

On Mittwoch, 23. Dezember 2020 16:29:57 CET Hessler, Klaus-Michael wrote:
> Thank you Bjoern,
>
> > ... database setup I can say that akonadi creates the database on its
> > own and upgrades the db if everything is installed when needed.
>
> This would mean, I install PostgreSQL first. After it runs properly, I
> install Akonadi and Akonadi asks, which database shall be used:
>
>  1. PostgreSQL (existing),
>  2. mySQL (to be installed)
>     or
>  3. MariaDB (to be installed)?

No. Akonadi will not ask you anything. By default, Akonadi will use MySQL (or
MariaDB, if MariaDB is installed as drop-in replacement for MySQL). If you
want PostgreSQL to be used, then you have to tell Akonadi this by requesting
the QPSQL database driver (see Anders reply).

But: This will make Akonadi use a standalone PostgreSQL server. Akonadi will
not use the system PostgreSQL server. This is basically what Martin already
wrote in his reply.

It's great that many people in this thread try to help, but I have the
impression that Martin (and me) are the only people who have really understood
what you, Michael, want to do.

I'm not sure whether it's a good idea to use the system PostgreSQL server
instead of a standalone one. What do you hope to gain by this?