[KDE-pim] New Install: AKONADI wit PostgreSQL

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Wed Dec 23 19:11:27 GMT 2020

Hessler, Klaus-Michael - 23.12.20, 19:54:23 CET:
> Thanks a lot, Ingo!
>
> > It's great that many people in this thread try to help, but I have
> > the impression that Martin (and me) are the only people who have
> > really understood what you, Michael, want to do. I'm not sure
> > whether it's a good idea to use the system PostgreSQL server
> > instead of a standalone one. What do you hope to gain by this?
>
> OK, may be my poor understanding: I use PostgreSQL very much with
> different databases, so "my PostgreSQL-server" is running almost
> full-time. In the past I understood from this list, that usage of
> PostgreSQL for Akonadi is the better choice. So _my approach_ was to
> have one server only, for "my usage" and for Akonadi.

If you already set up and maintain one PostgreSQL server, I do not
really see a reason not to use it. Especially if you set up a backup
procedure for it already. Otherwise it is easier let Akonadi handle it.

As I wrote, you can point Akonadi to an existing PostgreSQL database
instead of creating a new one and running another PostgreSQL process.
And I believe this is documented somewhere. I just didn't know where,
but now found something:

Well in case you use Debian there is a documentation as README.Debian in
/usr/share/doc/akonadi-backend-postgresql – I believe there is some
upstream documentation as well, but I don't know where.

Well there you have it:

https://sources.debian.org/src/akonadi/4:20.08.3-1/debian/README.Debian/

You may still like to let Akonadi start up its own server once, so you
can have a look at the PostgreSQL configuration it uses and probably make
needed adaptions to your own config.

Ciao,
--
Martin