[Kdenlive-devel] movit in kdenlive build script

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Mon Mar 17 20:38:26 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 1:04 PM, Steinar H. Gunderson <
sgunderson at bigfoot.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 06:44:24PM +0100, Vincent PINON wrote:
> > I think supporting lower end machines is still something to take into
> > account : on recent gadgets (Atom, ARM Chromebook) I still would like to
> > edit videos with my preferred sw! (up to who cares)
>
> FWIW: All recent Atoms I've seen come with hardware capable of running
> Movit.
> (I regularly run the unit tests on my Atom-based HTPC at home to check that
> things work with nVidia, for instance.)
>
> The ARM Chromebooks come with Mali T-604, which do not support desktop
> OpenGL, but support GLES 3.0, which has enough features. GLES 3.0 support
> is
> something I am actively working to get into Movit (it is mainly dependent
> on
> a bit of glue code, and my test hardware for it arriving), but I don't know
> offhand how this works with Qt.
>
> In general, it's really hard to buy a computer these days without a pretty
> advanced GPU. :-)

True, but do we end up with a hassle of driver bugs and interoperability
problems? These are not directly related to Movit, but I came across these
two only this morning:

https://plus.google.com/107555540696571114069/posts/5PhmKwz1NAr
Aaron Seigo:
Testing a bit of new hardware and it crashed on me while doing some (very
basic) graphics tasks. I thought to myself, "I wonder if this is using a
PowerVR SGX GPU?" Looked it up: yep. Even under Android the driver for this
GPU is a POS.

https://plus.google.com/102032883547463415401/posts/GF1pzw3rwQv
A G+ thread today about a QML Quick-defined menu Shotcut not rendering
correctly since switching to ATI card with fglrx driver.

--
+-DRD-+