[Kdenlive-devel] movit in kdenlive build script

Steinar H. Gunderson sgunderson at bigfoot.com
Mon Mar 17 21:02:34 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 01:38:26PM -0700, Dan Dennedy wrote:
> True, but do we end up with a hassle of driver bugs and interoperability
> problems? These are not directly related to Movit, but I came across these
> two only this morning:
>
> https://plus.google.com/107555540696571114069/posts/5PhmKwz1NAr
> Aaron Seigo:
> Testing a bit of new hardware and it crashed on me while doing some (very
> basic) graphics tasks. I thought to myself, "I wonder if this is using a
> PowerVR SGX GPU?" Looked it up: yep. Even under Android the driver for this
> GPU is a POS.

Yeah, on mobile the driver support is still pretty variable. Now, last time I
checked, Kdenlive didn't run on Android at all, but I do see this can be a
hurdle. (I'm not 100% convinced Kdenlive should actually care about
super-low-end hardware, but it's not my call to make.)

> https://plus.google.com/102032883547463415401/posts/GF1pzw3rwQv
> A G+ thread today about a QML Quick-defined menu Shotcut not rendering
> correctly since switching to ATI card with fglrx driver.

I think this is a more interesting case. I'm hearing a lot of different
things about the fglrx driver -- I don't have so much of an issue myself,
but I can certainly believe in people having problems with it.

I still believe running the OpenGL monitor should be pretty problem-free for
a card, though (and if it isn't, perhaps one should try a different driver,
as the world is rapidly moving towards compulsory compositing). You could
argue full Movit support shouldn't be required, though.

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/