PSA: KAccounts now requires two env vars set

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 18:10:01 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 12:21 PM, Diane Trout <diane at ghic.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 2016-01-18 at 15:06 -0500, Martin Klapetek wrote:
> > Because of a co-installability issue with other DEs [1]
> > that use the accounts-sso tech, I had to change the location
> > of the provider and service files we ship. This was decided
> > after discussing with upstream.
> >

> I do wish the two online account subsystems could read from the same
> location.
>
> There's a several random third party connection managers floating
> around I'm wondering how they should ship the configuration files for
> the online accounts systems. If both GNOME and KDE could share the same
> configuration location the third party connection managers could
> install their own accounts and service files.

The main problem comes from accounts that use oauth, like Google
or Twitter or whatever you got. These are not wanted shared because
parts of the file is the client key/client secret, basically what makes sure
that it shows as "KDE" in your Google account and not "Gnome".

So these cannot be shared and not really "put elsewhere". Basically the
problem is the same as Telepathy - the whole thing is now in maintenance
mode only, so there is noone to actually make this reasonably work.

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer