PSA: KAccounts now requires two env vars set

Diane Trout diane at ghic.org
Thu Jan 21 20:52:39 UTC 2016

> The main problem comes from accounts that use oauth, like Google
> or Twitter or whatever you got. These are not wanted shared because
> parts of the file is the client key/client secret, basically what
> makes sure
> that it shows as "KDE" in your Google account and not "Gnome".

I had this brief moment of wishing online accounts could be like
telepathy where modules could be safely shared between GNOME & KDE.

But right OAuth.

The simplest thing I can think of is for GNOME, KDE & Unity online
accounts to use a search path to find their provider / service files so
simple common ones go in the current place and OAuth components go to
environment specific ones.

In the long term it might make more sense for the providers/service
files to be installed by whatever component is providing that service
instead of bundle packages like kaccounts-providers

So these cannot be shared and not really "put elsewhere". Basically the
problem is the same as Telepathy - the whole thing is now in maintenance
mode only, so there is noone to actually make this reasonably work.

I was just talking to the guy who started the XEP-198 support for
gabble. He also has some patches for Emapthy to support notifications
for the delivery status.

I can hope that maybe there are other people who can be talked into
contributing.
Diane