KTp as part of Plasma? (was: Re: Port complete \o/ )

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 16:31:22 UTC 2015

On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 3:43 PM, Vishesh Handa <me at vhanda.in> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 12:51 AM, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:
>
>> - KDE Telepathy is more of a service than an application. It's, by
>> definition, the integration of a system service (Telepathy) into the
>> Plasma shell.
>>

> This.
>
> This is the main reason why KTp being part of the applications release is
> strange.
>
> Perhaps it would make sense to define what KTp is trying to be? There was
> a vision discussed here [1]. I'm pasting it over here -

I think Plasma should do that first. If Plasma, the release, is a basic
shell which you can take and do whatever formfactor UI, than KTp has no
place in there. If Plasma is a desktop/tablet/whatever workspace which
provides
basic features to control and work with your computer, then yes, provided
we actually do have those basic features. Seriously, why should Plasma have
IM
client and not a file manager? What would be the point of that?

In the end I don't think it actually matters if it's part of A or B.
Distributions
will be the ones serving the software and there the difference is only in
release dates. And those who compile stuff on their own care even less.

Also note that KDE Applications released 151 pieces of software, among
those are:
 * audiocd-kio
 * kaccessible
 * kdeartwork
 * kde-base-artwork
 * kde-dev-utils/-scripts
 * kdesdk-*
 * bunch of KDE libs
 * print-manager
 * superkaramba
 * zeroconf-ioslave

...and many others which I have no idea what they even do. But in my opinion
many of them being among KDE applications is just as strange.

> > The first question that was important for us was "Which users do we want
> to focus on?".
> > We decided that we want to focus on Plasma users. We do not shut out
> users of other
> > desktop environments or operating systems, but we clearly focus on
> integrating
> > well with Plasma and provide the best experience for Plasma users.
>
> Also, we have been promoting kde-applications as stuff which we want
> ported on windows and osx. KTp does not seem to fit that bill.

Promoting where? The official announcements have no mention of either.
Sure, Kate, Dolphin and couple others are available on other platforms,
but sorry if I have doubts about all of 151 released pieces wanting to be
on either Windows or OS X...

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer