[Kde-pim] fuck you, akonadi

Georg C. F. Greve greve at kolabsys.com
Thu Apr 12 08:38:06 BST 2012

Dear Anders,

On Thursday 12 April 2012 09.09:26 Anders Lund wrote:
> The deleted resource is kept in owncloud, and accessed via webdav.

You realize that the ownCloud developers don't really consider the address
book and calendar resources production ready & safe, right? So while I can
understand the frustration I'd suggest to moderate the tone of the message
until you know what actually happened.

That issue could have been caused by ownCloud, by Akonadi, or by an unforeseen
interaction between the two which neither the ownCloud nor the Akonadi
developers foresaw and just never encountered before.

In any case, isn't the address book storage in ownCloud also based on a VCS?

In that case you should not have lost anything.

> Obviously, data not being safely storaged by the akonadisaster system is
> unacceptable. Why not check the data you read and NOT delete data if what
> you get is not a VCARD file? It is really IDIOTIC.

Do you have a log of the communication on the wire?

Otherwise it is also quite possible that what Akonadi received was a well-
formed WebDAV stream that was simply empty. That might be exactly what it
would receive if the user deleted the contacts on the server.

In other words: How do you expect Akonadi to behave if the server tells it
that the user deleted all contacts?

> I got SICK of having all my mail in one big pile, so I moved all the
> maillist stuff into a different resource and turned my filters on again.

That seems an oddly backward way of organizing things in the days of IMAP,
which also takes care of the danger of losing mail - in our corporate setup we
even retain all deleted messages for quite some time before they actually get
purged.

But I agree it should work, although when I hear that you're still having
Nepomuk issues, I wonder which version you're on, because from the 4.8.1
release I have seen dramatic improvements here.

Anyhow: Making sure that KDE PIM works well is as much your responsibility as
it is that of anyone else on this list. You can contribute in a myriad of
ways, as do most of the people on this list.

So I'll take your last comments as self-flagellation.

Best regards,
Georg

--
Georg C. F. Greve