[Kde-pim] fuck you, akonadi

Georg C. F. Greve greve at kolabsys.com
Thu Apr 12 08:52:38 BST 2012

On Thursday 12 April 2012 08.30:50 ianseeks wrote:
> I must admit i still don't see the reason for Akonadi etc other than an
> "itch  to scratch". I can't rationalise this direction at all, it just
> seems so over designed and over engineered for the ordinary user.

Assuming that the ordinary user never wants to use mobile phones or tablets,
never has more than one email account with a couple of mails per day, and
never uses Facebook or any other social media service, you're probably right
that Akonadi is overdesigned. Who needs that Web 2.0 stuff, anyhow?

Assuming however that ordinary users do at least some of these things, Akonadi
or something like it was inevitable. The old monolithic applications got as
far as they were able to go, and if that is fine for you, then by all means
keep using them.

But demanding new features and simultaneously criticising the refactoring work
that was required to be able to work on them seems a bit unfair.

Because of this work KDE PIM is the one application that actually gives the
Free Software desktop a chance to replace Windows, because for a variety of
reasons it is the only application that has a real shot at replacing Outlook.

And yes, that is a fiendishly complex task on which a lot of very intelligent,
capable and dedicated people work to the extent their respective lives and
employers permit.

If things aren't going fast enough for you, I suggest you do what you can to
help them accelerate it, or at least let them get on with their work.

Best regards,
Georg

--
Georg C. F. Greve