[Kde-pim] Akonadi as metadata caching middleware

Christian Mollekopf chrigi_1 at fastmail.fm
Thu Apr 12 17:45:36 BST 2012

On Thursday 12 April 2012 23.00:38 Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 01:15:28 PM Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > The approach Akonadi takes is in use by quite some groupware solutions
> > already. At work we have Zimbra. And guess what, they use MySQL to hold
> > metadata for mail. And they use Lucene to index them.
>
> yeah, but Zimbra also *is* the Mail Store and the client - very tight
> integration. Akonadi is attempting to sync with the mail store. Clients talk
> to Akonadi.
>
> > I type in some search keywords and get results from full text indexing
> > that takes place in the background in about 10-15 seconds at maximum,
> > often quicker. Full text and way more than these >320000 mails in about
> > easily 100 folders.
>
> Yeah, I do that with Thunderbird too - 30,000 plus emails, in imap folders.

Just for the record. I just tried a couple of searches (fulltext, not only the
header) in my kdeplasma folder which has precisely 26332 mails in it. I never
had to wait longer than ~1s.

I'm not saying that we're there yet to have that flawlessly available for
everyone, and I'm sure there are still some rough edges, but the potential is
definitely there, and we're heading in the right direction.

If you think it's overengineered or whatever, you're free to do so, but please
don't spread that misinformation, it doesn't help anyone.

Cheers,
Christian