[Kde-pim] Akonadi as metadata caching middleware

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Fri Apr 13 19:58:57 BST 2012

Am Donnerstag, 12. April 2012 schrieb Anders Lund:
> Den 12-04-2012 13:15, Martin Steigerwald skrev:
> > The approach Akonadi takes is in use by quite some groupware
> > solutions already. At work we have Zimbra. And guess what, they use
> > MySQL to hold metadata for mail. And they use Lucene to index them.
> >
> > And it works.
> >
> > And it scales.
> >
> > It really scales.
>
> If a working solution exists, then why not use it?

I want a fat client. And I want a KDE/Qt GUI that integrates well with my
KDE desktops. And I do not want to put it into my virtual server. Its a
bit heavy weight just for personal use.

That said, actually I use it, at work. I have the web gui and I have KMail
and sometimes I use the web client and something KMail. While the web
client IMHO is really good KMail excels at mail editing, handling of
quoting and quite some other stuff.

But enough of that, I just wanted to say that similar technologies work in
practice already. And thus I am confident, that KDEPIM 2 will get there
too. For some posters on this list it already works nicely as I read. And
I am sure developers and testers will make it better and better and
better.