[Kde-pim] Akonadi as metadata caching middleware

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Thu Apr 12 12:15:28 BST 2012

Am Donnerstag, 12. April 2012 schrieb Lindsay Mathieson:
> > Assuming however that ordinary users do at least some of these
> > things, Akonadi
> > or something like it was inevitable.
>
> I disagree strongly - a centralized middle man to sync all these things
> sounds great in theory, but in practice its turned out to be an over
> engineered mess with far to many fragile components, any one of which
> can break the whole chain. And no one seems to have a clear overview.

The approach Akonadi takes is in use by quite some groupware solutions
already. At work we have Zimbra. And guess what, they use MySQL to hold
metadata for mail. And they use Lucene to index them.

And it works.

And it scales.

It really scales.

I have a nice little folder in there. >320000 mails. Linux Kernel
mailinglist. I click on it in the web interface and get displayed the most
recent of them in a few seconds usually.

I type in some search keywords and get results from full text indexing
that takes place in the background in about 10-15 seconds at maximum,
often quicker. Full text and way more than these >320000 mails in about
easily 100 folders.

Try any of these with KDEPIM 4.4.5… When I try to access that folder
within KMail from KDEPIM 4.4.5 I loose the patience to wait. Really.
Searching in all mails and their contents? Forget it.

Sure, they trick it. They just show the first 1000 mails or so and only
when I scroll down with the slider I get more, but almost immediately. I
think this incremental approach of displaying folder contents would be a
really cool feature for KMail 2. And it should be doable given that I can
ask the database for the most recent entries easily. And frankly, why
should I need to see all >320000 mails at once?

Now KDEPIM 2 isn´t there yet, but from the technology involved I see no
reason, why it can´t get there. And why it as Georg envisions can not even
have a server component that ideally at some time in the future I could
apt-get install onto my server and be done with it.

Thus using a database for storing mail, contact and calendar metadata
sounds like a perfectly sane approach to me.

Using an indexing software like Lucene or Nepomuk for mails also sounds
like a perfectly sane approach to me.

I bet KDEPIM 2 will kick ass. Seriously. It just will take some more time.

And from what I read it is used on mobile phones already. So I also
believe that resource consumption can be tuned so that its suitable for
desktops as well.

I am still reluctant to upgrade for now. Well Debian KDE/Qt developers
still did not package it anyway. But I am more and more interested to use
some virtual machine or additional KDEPIM installation to try it out.  At
first maybe with a duplicating mail account on my server.

I am just not decided as too which live image to use - are there any
recommendations for a most recent KDEPIM 2?

Ciao,