[Kde-pim] Strange behaviour smtp - how to investigate further?

Thomas Kleindienst t.kleindienst at web.de
Wed Apr 11 17:15:51 BST 2012

I've a strange problem.

I'm running a small business network with 5 KDE clients over here using
Kontact/Kmail/Akonadi as a mail client on Opensuse.

We've been delaying the update to Akonadi as long as possible. After
trying 4.8 I decided it's mature enough to swith to it, and it was o.k.
in 4.8 and 4.8.1.

Since the update to 4.8.2 we're experiencing strange behaviour.

It's reproducible:

Open kontact

compose a first mail send it -> works and gets delivered
read some incoming mails -> works

compose a second mail and try to send it -> composer window gets grayed
out. Close it with discard -> back to kmail
try to read some incoming mails -> mails are not displayed anymore,
only the messagelist seems to work.

mails are on a cyrus imap server inside our local network
(plain text password... no security)
postfix runs on the same server as a mail agent
(no login)

How can I find out, what changed from 4.8.1 to 4.8.2 ?
Is it the mail dispatcher?

Note: trying to send mails with claws works...
2nd note: Users have about 12000 - 16000 mails on inbox / sent-mail
folders. Each folder is about 5-10 Gb big

Any hint / help appreciated

regards,
  Thomas