[Kde-pim] RS IM in Kopete -> Interacting with KMail -> Offer both to OOo and/or Koffice

Michael Schmidt schmidtm524 at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 21 18:27:11 BST 2007

On 8/21/07, Jos Poortvliet <jos at mijnkamer.nl> wrote:

> > My request is: How do we get RS Im into Kopete.
> Hmmm. RS is a filesharing system with chat support, right?

Well it is a full equipped instant messenger, with friendslist,
personal chat and groupchat, like IRC-Style Group Chat and even an
Email client is implemented for Offline Messages, and there is a file
transfer function, in which OOo is interested, as it is a PGP-Secure
Channel.

> I don't know the technical details, but I think it should be implemented
> party as Telepathy plugin, and some Akonadi stuff I guess. Then all apps
> using Akonadi and Telepathy automagically support RS file sharing and chat.

It should be integrated into a multi-protocol messenger: Kopete, if
Kopete is based on
Telepathy, Akonadi, Decibell, etc. then here as well.. hope the
discussion is fetched by a technician., The resources must come from
interest here, as even the RS team could not fulfil even the OOo
interest, as they need to develop the library still.. but messaging is
perfect, not it is filetransfer, which is worked on.
It would be great, if someone could have a look at the library of RS.

> The integration I mean is the development and integration of Akonadi,
> Telepathy and Decibel. Those technologies are pretty new. Let me give an
> example. [....] integrating it in these systems will ensure you can
> just right-click a file in dolphin, and send it to a contact online with RS!

Fine, how do we can get this to the development teams of each of these systems?

> But as it is  a library, I guess integrating it with Decibel and Akonadi
> wouldn't be that hard.

right.

>  OO.o integrating foreign toolkits seems pretty
> unlikely to me, They most likely would have to re-implement a lot.

ok, KOffice is good as well, let´s start with the integration and then
suite-ing...them..

> I suggest to bring RS support to the basic KDE libraries, which will ensure
> the KDE apps will support it. You could read up on those technologies on
> their websites:
> decibel.kde.org
> http://pim.kde.org/akonadi/

Thanks, can you help to bring the RS library into the
kde/Kopete/..duracell package?

Here is the debain package:
http://web2.m18s21.vlinux.de/retroshare/retroshare_0.3.11c.deb
Here the kubuntu package: