[Kde-pim] KNotes issues

Reinhold Kainhofer reinhold at kainhofer.com
Fri Aug 3 16:29:17 BST 2007

Am Freitag, 3. August 2007 schrieb Allen Winter:
> On Wednesday 01 August 2007 9:42:14 am Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> >
> > I'm rather proposing to add a property parameter X-KDE-RICHTEXT to the
> > DESCRIPTION property:
> > BEGIN:VEVENT
> > END:VEVENT
>
> I have this working now.

Great!

> A couple of questions before I commit:
>
> 1. would the property parameter be better as "X-KDE-TEXT=HTML" ?
>     theoretically, allowing different types of text besides HTML?
>     not that I have any idea what that would be.. ODF? :)

How about X-KDE-TEXTFORMAT?
I don't think ODF is possible, because the description property value is
pure-text, not binary.
However, XHTML, RTF or all kinds of wiki markup come to mind. I'm not saying
we should implement any of them, but the specification of the parameter
should allow such extensions later on.

> 2. I am supporting rich text for the description, summary, and location
>     incidence properties.

The summary might create problems:
1) We currently use a simple line edit, so we don't have an editor for it.
2) Summary is defined as a one-line summary, so line breaks and block-level
elements are not allowed. The problem is that allowing rich text (or html)
3) We'd need a html painter to draw the summaries onto the agenda items
(currently, journals are not shown in the agenda view, but sooner or later
they might...)
4) Usually the summary is displayed as <h1>Summarytext</h1>. If the summary is
already html, that might terribly break the html engine/display.

>     OK?  I could probably go crazy and support
>     rich text on categories and alarm descriptions and all sorts of stuff.
>     Suggestions for other incidence properties that should support
> richtext?

I don't think we should implement things just because we could. I suppose
description and location (e.g. for driving directions given as lists, or to
include an image) are enough.

> PS.  i will award a small cash prize to anyone who rewrites the ical
> library in C++ the "KDE way" :)  With good documentation... actually, it is
> pretty darn good code.  just not documented and not KDEish. and not C++.

Fully agree!

Cheers,
Reinhold

- --