[Kde-pim] KNotes issues

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Fri Aug 3 16:40:05 BST 2007

On Friday 03 August 2007 11:29:17 am Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> Am Freitag, 3. August 2007 schrieb Allen Winter:
> > >
> > > I'm rather proposing to add a property parameter X-KDE-RICHTEXT to the
> > > DESCRIPTION property:
> > > BEGIN:VEVENT
> > > END:VEVENT
> >
> > I have this working now.
>
> Great!
>
> > A couple of questions before I commit:
> >
> > 1. would the property parameter be better as "X-KDE-TEXT=HTML" ?
> >     theoretically, allowing different types of text besides HTML?
> >     not that I have any idea what that would be.. ODF? :)
>
> How about X-KDE-TEXTFORMAT?
I will make it so.

> I don't think ODF is possible, because the description property value is
> pure-text, not binary.
> However, XHTML, RTF or all kinds of wiki markup come to mind. I'm not saying
> we should implement any of them, but the specification of the parameter
> should allow such extensions later on.
>
> > 2. I am supporting rich text for the description, summary, and location
> >     incidence properties.
>
> The summary might create problems:
Drat, now we can't have the flashing green "PAYDAY!" in our calendars. :)

How about:
- leave the summary textformat support parameter at the iCal layer
- KOrganizer will need to summary.asPlainText() were html isn't supported in the GUI

> 1) We currently use a simple line edit, so we don't have an editor for it.
> 2) Summary is defined as a one-line summary, so line breaks and block-level
> elements are not allowed. The problem is that allowing rich text (or html)
> 3) We'd need a html painter to draw the summaries onto the agenda items
> (currently, journals are not shown in the agenda view, but sooner or later
> they might...)
> 4) Usually the summary is displayed as <h1>Summarytext</h1>. If the summary is
> already html, that might terribly break the html engine/display.
>

> >     OK?  I could probably go crazy and support
> >     rich text on categories and alarm descriptions and all sorts of stuff.
> >     Suggestions for other incidence properties that should support
> > richtext?
>
> I don't think we should implement things just because we could. I suppose
> description and location (e.g. for driving directions given as lists, or to
> include an image) are enough.

Agree.  Just wanted to double-check that I had the most important properties covered.