[Kde-pim] The Future of Kontact (Was: kpinterfaces)

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Sat Aug 4 03:37:55 BST 2007

On Friday 27 July 2007 2:55:43 pm Allen Winter wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> Apparently we installed the kpinterfaces lib (from kontact/interfaces) in KDE 3.
> We haven't been doing so for KDE 4.
>
> Should we install this library?
>
> Ideally, it would be nicer to have this library in kdepimlibs, I think.
>
> Comments?
Following up on this ...

I spoke with danimo, till and some other pimsters on irc the other day
regarding Kontact's future.   I neglected to keep a log of the conversation,
unfortunately.

A few points I remember:
 - The Kontact shell is another window manager, and not a very good one.
 - we need to be choosy about what plugins we allow; Kontact needs a "concept".
 - we need to better control what plugins are integrated -- recall the basket integration disaster
 - apps that want to plugin to Kontact should be part of kdepim (or keg/pim?)
 - should Kontact even exist?  i.e, does Kontact exist simply to satisfy a corporate need
   for an Outlook-like application?
 - Akonadi+Plasma will change the way we manage and manipulate PIM data
 - we should keep the Kontact interface private to kdepim, at least for now.  This will give us
  greater control over what apps can plugin to Kontact.
 - KDAB will keep Kontact going on the enterprise branch for a long time to come :)

Tobias Hunger asked about a KCall plugin for Kontact.  The code exists but can't be built
for 4.0 because libkpinterfaces is not installed.  Maybe we can add KCall to kdepim 4.1?
But, again, we need to consider if KCall fits under the Kontact "concept".   (todo: define)

Just some ramblings... things to think about...

-Allen