[Kde-pim] The Future of Kontact (Was: kpinterfaces)

Mathias Soeken msoeken at tzi.de
Sat Aug 4 16:36:02 BST 2007

On Saturday 04 August 2007 04:37:55 Allen Winter wrote:
> Kontact needs a "concept". [...]  - should Kontact even exist?
>  i.e, does Kontact exist simply to satisfy a corporate need for an
> Outlook-like application?

I think we should reconsider kontact. It is nice to have all the pim
applications consolidated, but now it is (just) a side bar with all the
kparts. IMHO to make it really cool, there has to be a better organization
between the different apps, for example a view where I can see my inbox, my
contacts and my tasks, but not just readable like the summary now instead the
real widgets to work with them.

But this could mean a lot of work to kontact but there is also still a lot of
work to do on the pim applications.

It would be cool to create kontact like a pim application like outlook but
instead of rewriting it to reuse widgets and code from the pim apps, but this
means perhaps also redesign of the pim apps.

These were just some thougts. As I startet to write this mail, I thought they
were more ordered.

Mathias