[Kde-l10n-kn] my suggestions

Shankar Prasad svenkate at redhat.com
Tue Aug 21 06:47:27 CEST 2007

Hi,
> group - it is a context sensitive word. "Samooha" is perfectly fine.
> For operating system groups (of users), I feel "baLaga" would be more
> appropriate as it sounds like group of people. For me samooha feels
> like group of "non living" things. Also, since the words - users and
> groups will be used with one another "baLakedhaara" and "baLaga" will
> match as they both start with "ba" (aadi praasa).
I too agree with you, as "baLaga" sounds appropriate for that context.

> on and off - I was (am) really confused how to translate these words.
> Since many Kannada people (even those from villages) already
> understand and use these words in English itself, I think, we can
> borrow these two words to Kannada. I don't think even 10% Kannada
> speaking people can understand the words "upakramana" and
> "upasamharana" as equivalents to on and off. So, let's borrow these
> English words (I am not sure whether they are English words, might be
> borrowed from Greek or Latin :-) ).
>
> I totally agree with your concern - "If we start borrowing English
> words like these, how would we know where to stop and draw a line of
> distinction?". If you ask me, I would suggest, any English word that
> is known to 80% or more Kannada people and for which they don't know
> the equivalent Kannada word and has been well established (in use
> since more than 20-30 years) can be borrowed to Kannada.
Many a times I too have encountered the same ambiguity in case ON and
OFF. When we consider the the people we are targeting, instead of using
the kannada words which are unknown to the majority of people, better to
retain the popular English word itself.

Shankar Prasad