[Kde-l10n-kn] my suggestions

Siddharudh P T siddharudh at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 16:43:21 CEST 2007

Namaskara Umesh,

Luckily I have found some time to go through the standard translations put
on the google spreadsheet. I am very happy with the way translations have
come so far.

I have few suggestions:

group - it is a context sensitive word. "Samooha" is perfectly fine. For
operating system groups (of users), I feel "baLaga" would be more
appropriate as it sounds like group of people. For me samooha feels like
group of "non living" things. Also, since the words - users and groups will
be used with one another "baLakedhaara" and "baLaga" will match as they both
start with "ba" (aadi praasa).

on and off - I was (am) really confused how to translate these words. Since
many Kannada people (even those from villages) already understand and use
these words in English itself, I think, we can borrow these two words to
Kannada. I don't think even 10% Kannada speaking people can understand the
words "upakramana" and "upasamharana" as equivalents to on and off. So,
let's borrow these English words (I am not sure whether they are English
words, might be borrowed from Greek or Latin :-) ).

I totally agree with your concern - "If we start borrowing English words
like these, how would we know where to stop and draw a line of
distinction?". If you ask me, I would suggest, any English word that is
known to 80% or more Kannada people and for which they don't know the
equivalent
Kannada word and has been well established (in use since more than 20-30
years) can be borrowed to Kannada.

There is some font issue with my browser so can't clearly see all the
Kannada characters in the translations. But, I think, that's all from my
side. I just wanted to convey these two things.

Overall, the standardized translations are very nice and I can proudly say
that these translations are much better than other l10n initiatives like
from Microsoft, Nokia and other proprietary/opensource projects.

Keep up the good work. God Bless you All !!

Best regards,
Siddharudh P T