Considering stopping i18n for develop.kde.org

Josep M. Ferrer txemaq at saragata.net
Tue Feb 21 19:37:07 GMT 2023

El 18/2/23 a les 23:46, Phu Hung Nguyen ha escrit:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I created this issue [1] in the website repo some days ago and
> intended to ask here too but then forgot.
>
> Tonight I just saw the big update to Kirigami tutorials [2] has been
> merged. Tomorrow you will see many changes to PO files of this
> website, since Kirigami tutorials take up the most of what are i12ized
> (internationalized) here.
>
> I would like to take this chance to ask for your opinions: do you
> think it's worth the effort to translate this website? Or do you enjoy
> translating this website?
>
> I don't know how the i18n of this website started, but my opinion, as
> said in [1], is that this website contains mostly technical stuff, of
> course we can make it translatable, but I'm not sure that's what we
> should do now, especially when this website still has a lot of issues
> (both errors/problems and improvements) in English to be taken care
> of. That's why I propose that we stop i18n of this website.
>
> Anyway, that's my opinion only. I'm looking forward to knowing your
> opinions.
>
> Regards,
> Phu
>
> [1] https://invent.kde.org/documentation/develop-kde-org/-/issues/120
>
> [2]
> https://invent.kde.org/documentation/develop-kde-org/-/merge_requests/235

Thanks to bring up this topic.

As said above, this website contains mostly technical stuff, and many
translation units are about keywords, classes, etc. that are not
translatable. In fact, these keywords are translatable, but it will a
mistake to translate them. Two examples from kirigami-tutorial.po:

#: content/docs/use/kirigami/advanced-add_about_page.md:20

After all the required information has been set, we call [KAboutData::
setApplicationData](docs:kcoreaddons;KAboutData::setApplicationData) to
initialize the properties of the [QApplication ](docs:qtwidgets;
QApplication) object.

#: content/docs/use/kirigami/advanced-add_about_page.md:22

We then create a [qmlRegisterSingletonType()](docs:qtqml;QQmlEngine::
qmlRegisterSingletonType). This is used to allow us to import the C++ code
as a module in our `main.qml` with `import org.kde.example 1.0`.

On the other side, this website is intended for developers, not for
users. I think developers will prefer English version of the website
rather than localized version. English version will be more accurate and
up-to-date.

IMO, it makes little sense to translate develop.kde.org.

Best regards,

Josep M. Ferrer