[Kde-games-devel] Kmines

Ethan Anderson ethana2 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 18:41:02 CEST 2008

> I'd rather see an option 'don't allow unsolvable puzzles' where
> "unsolvable" is defined as indeterministic (i.e. impossible to complete
> without random-guessing). Of course this applies to *any* board, so I'd
> add the condition that we assume any contiguous area of at least X
> 0-neighbor squares is initially revealed when making that determination.
>
> Partly that's because having a border feels like it would affect the
> style of play adversely... but maybe not. I certainly wouldn't object to
> it as an option.

It would alter it, yes.  Adversely, maybe-- I can sure see it decreasing the
length of the game when all the 0's on the perimeter dig cavities into the
map from every side.

> Well, mines is a two-part game, where one part consists of finding
> "large" 0-neighbor areas by random guessing, and the second part is
> wholly deterministic. There isn't really any "AI", just a series of
> logic rules to be applied.

Artificial Intelligence is... a series of applied logic rules.   ..and
tubes.
If you can do it, your machine can do it.  If your machine can't do it, you
can't be guaranteed to be able to do it.