[Kde-games-devel] Kmines

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Aug 1 18:30:40 CEST 2008

Ethan Anderson wrote:
> Sorry, I don't mean to flood the mailing list, but I went back into
> kmines again and realized I couldn't turn off 'i'm not sure' flags.
>
> You don't know whether or not a mine is there?  You don't say!  That's
> only every unrevealed space on the board!
> ...'im not sure' is but a wasted right click when I miss a space by
> two pixels and flag the wrong one.
>
> Also note that the vast majority of unsolvable maps end at the edges
> of the map. [snip suggestions]

I'd rather see an option 'don't allow unsolvable puzzles' where
"unsolvable" is defined as indeterministic (i.e. impossible to complete
without random-guessing). Of course this applies to *any* board, so I'd
add the condition that we assume any contiguous area of at least X
0-neighbor squares is initially revealed when making that determination.

Partly that's because having a border feels like it would affect the
style of play adversely... but maybe not. I certainly wouldn't object to
it as an option.

> I think I would love to write an AI for kmines in python under the
> GPLv2+3.  That would be a great exercise for me.  Does kmines have an
> AI interface?  It'd be handy to have a live gameplay demo via AI to
> show people how to play and such also, with an AI terminal to describe
> what it's doing and why..

Well, mines is a two-part game, where one part consists of finding
"large" 0-neighbor areas by random guessing, and the second part is
wholly deterministic. There isn't really any "AI", just a series of
logic rules to be applied.

--
Matthew
FOSS: Giving people the cage and it's blueprints, gratis. The "L" matters.