[Kde-games-devel] A problematic translation

Burkhard Lehner burkhard.lehner at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 14 15:03:11 CET 2007

Hi!

2007/12/14, Luciano Montanaro <mikelima at gmail.com>:

> I've been discussing with a fellow translator, and we have a problem
> translating "game" in Italian. It's not a blocker in any means, but it's
> an
> issue that would be good to address in the future, especially if other
> languages have the same issue.
>
> The problem is this:
>
> We have two words that we use for different meaning of "game".
>
> For example,
>
> "The game of chess" is translated as "Il gioco degli scacchi".
>
> However, "Let's play a game of chess" is translated
> "Giochiamo una partita a scacchi".
>
> This means, "Gioco" is reserved to refer to a game in an abstract manner,
> its
> rules or maybe the stuff you use to play it.
>
> On the other hand, "Partita" is used when "playing a game", going through
> the
> game rules to get a result. At least for many game types. For example,
> it's
> hard to say one is playing a "partita" of ktuberling.
>
> So it would be useful for Italian translators to distinguish which kind of
> game is to be used.

I'm not a translator, but I just want to say that for German there is the
same difference:

"The game of Chess" => "Das Schach-Spiel"
"Let's play a game of chess!" => "Lass uns eine Partie Schach spielen!"

So, it's the same as in Italian: "Game" => "Spiel" or "Partie".
(The online dictionary LEO [dict.leo.org] says the same.)

Burkhard